Dr. Salvador Esquena
Dr. Salvador Esquena
Reputed specialist in Urology trained at the Vall d’Hebrón University Hospital, Dr. Esquena is Head of the transversal department of Urology at Sagrat Cor University Hospital, Catalunya General University Hospital, and the Quirónsalud Vallès Clinic. Dedicated for years in urological oncological surgery, as well as in the comprehensive treatment of prostate diseases, he leads the 3D laparoscopic surgery team at Sagrat Cor University Hospital, a pioneer unit in Spain and Europe.
Dr. Esquena is also a member of the European Association of Urology and of various Medical Societies in Spain. He has participated in multiple clinical trials and is author of numerous national and international scientific publications, clinical guidelines, and book chapters. He is the author of the book. "En la piel del paciente. – a self-criticism book about the profession" (Now Books, 2017).
- More than 20 years of experience as Urologist.
- Head of the Transversal Department of Urology at Sagrat Cor University Hospital, Catalunya General University Hospital, and the Quirónsalud Vallès Clinic (currently)
- Member of the 3D laparoscopic surgery team at Sagrat Cor University Hospital in Barcelona, a Pioneer unit in Spain (currently)
- Team with Dr. Antonio Rosales, a world-renowned expert urologist. Together they have performed more than 3,000 laparoscopic surgeries performed.
- Leads the Urology team at Sagrat Cor University Hospital and Catalunya General University Hospital where more than 2,000 urological surgeries are performed annually in each center.
- Adjunct member of the Uro-Oncology and Renal Transplant team at the Puigvert Foundation, dedicated to prostate cancer (for 12 years).
- Member of the Urolithiasis Unit at the Puigvert Foundation in Barcelona (for 2 years).
- Specialization in Urology at Vall d'Hebrón University Hospital.
- Member of the European Association of Urology
- Member of the Spanish Association of Urology
- Member of the Catalan Society of Urology
- Member of the Barcelona’s Official College of Doctors
- Author and co-author of more than 50 international and national scientific publications, and more than 130 national and international presentations.
- Author of multiple clinical guides, several book chapters, and the book "En la piel del paciente. – a book of self-criticism about the profession".
- Principal investigator, especially in the field of urological oncology, at the REDUCE, VITAE, MISTIC, ARAMIS, and TITAN clinical trials.
- Co-investigator of the TUGAMO, TOOKAD and PEACE-1 clinical trials
- Co-investigator at Lilly’s clinical trial: A study of methods to assess the effect of androgen deprivation therapy on muscle function and serum myostatin levels in patients with prostate cancer.
- Associate professor of the 4th and 5th year of Urology subject, from 2005 to 2018, at the Faculty of Medicine of the Autonomous University of Barcelona, Sant Pau Campus.
- Dr. Esquena gives multiple workshops and conferences at multiple universities, hospitals, regional medical colleges, and associations such as the Spanish Association of Urology, the Spanish Association of Cancer Patients, the University of Barcelona, etc.