Dr. Raúl F. Abella
Dr. Raúl F. Abella
Dr. Raúl Felipe Abellá is a consultant in paediatric cardiovascular surgery. His centre has international professionals who treat all types of congenital heart diseases; with over 25 years’ experience and over 3000 heart operations, including the most complicated procedures, the centre has an Aristotle Basic Complexity Score of 7.3, a post-operative survival rate of 98.2%, and a hospital rate of 97%, which all comply with the international standards of centres of excellence at world level.
- Director of Barcelona International Heart Centre (CICB), Dexeus University Hospital (present).
- Head of Paediatric Cardiovascular Surgery at Vall d’Hebron University Hospital (2010-present).
- Collaboration on development aid programmes for paediatric cardiovascular surgery in developing countries.
- 2002-2009: Cardiovascular surgery at IRCCS San Donato Polyclinic in Milan, ITALY.
- 1995-2001: Cardiovascular surgery at Hesperia Hospital, Modena, ITALY.
- 1991-1995: Cardiovascular surgery at Bambino Gesù Paediatric Hospital, Rome, ITALY.
- Founding Member of the World Society for Paediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery.
- Member of the European Association of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery.
- Speaker at over 100 national and international conferences.
- 200 articles and publications.
- Member of the Cardiac Paediatric Surgery Programme, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.
- Medical School Programme, University of Girona, Girona, Spain.
- Over 56 humanitarian missions in 9 countries as a cardiovascular surgeon.
- Operated on over 525 children with or without extracorporeal circulation.
- Director of 3 cardiovascular surgery development programmes for the Cuban Ministry of Health.
- Cardiovascular surgery specialist with internships in Italy, France, Switzerland and the United States.
- IRCCS San Donato Polyclinic in Milan, Italy.
- Aldo Castaneda Institute, Genolier, Switzerland.
- Bambini Gesù Hospital, Rome, Italy.