Dr. Josep Tabernero
Dr. Josep Tabernero
Dr. Tabernero is the President of the European Society for Medical Oncology, 2018-2019. He is the Medical Director of Baselga Oncological Institute (IOB) and director of its Gastrointestinal Unit. As well as his passion for having a close relationship with his patients, he has a solid scientific profile as the director of relevant international trials for new drugs to treat digestive tumours, and his participation in many European Union research projects relating to the progress of oncology.
Forbes Magazine puts Dr. Josep Tabernero among the Top 5 Spanish oncologists (Forbes Magazine, 2017)
- Medical Director of Baselga Oncological Institute (IOB) at Quirónsalud Barcelona Hospital (present).
- Director of the Gastrointestinal Unit at Baselga Oncological Institute (IOB) at Quirónsalud Barcelona Hospital (present).Head of Oncology at Vall d’Hebron University Hospital, Barcelona (present).
- Head of the Gastrointestinal Tumours Section, Medical Oncology Department at Vall d’Hebron University Hospital (present).
- Specialist in Medical Oncology at Santa Creu i Sant Pau University Hospital (1993-1997).
- Resident Medical Intern, Medical Oncology at Santa Creu i Sant Pau University Hospital, Barcelona.
President of the European Society for Medical Oncology, 2018-2019.
- Co-founder of the Spanish Group for the Treatment of Digestive Tumours (TTD)
- Member of the executive committee of the Spanish Group for the Treatment of Digestive Tumours (TTD)
- Member of the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- Member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- Member of the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- Member of the Spanish Society for Medical Oncology (SEOM).
- He is an expert advisor on the creation and development of Oncology Guidelines for the ESMO, SEOM and the Department of Health of the Government of Catalonia.
- Professor of Medical Oncology at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB).
- Associate Visiting Professor at the University of Napoles.
- Member of the editorial committee for various prestigious scientific publications.
- He has published over 70 articles in international books and journals.
- He has given over 200 presentations at international conferences.
- Over 250 journal publications, including: The Lancet, New England Journal of Medicine, Annals of Oncology, Journal of Clinical Oncology, The Oncologist, Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, Nature, etc.
- He leads multi-centre international trials of new drug treatments for digestive tumours and participates in various research projects approved by the European Union to identify prognostic and predictive response factors to molecular treatments.
Internship at the Department of Medicine, MD Anderson Cancer Centre Hospital in Houston (USA) (1993).