Dr. Javier Foncillas
Dr. Javier Foncillas
Dr. Foncillas is a renowned general and digestive surgeon and a pioneer in the treatment of morbid obesity, to which he has dedicated a large part of his professional activity since 1984. Graduated in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Barcelona in 1975, he earned his accreditation in digestive surgery at the Beaujon Hospital in Paris (1983) and holds extensive knowledge in digestive surgery with minimally invasive techniques such as laparoscopy.
Currently, he is Head of the General and Digestive Surgery Service and Coordinator of the Metabolic Surgery and Morbid Obesity Unit at Sagrat Cor University Hospital. Doctor Foncillas is founding member of the most important medical societies in his specialty, such as the Spanish Society of Obesity Surgery (SECO) and the Spanish Society of Laparoscopic Surgery; moreover, he has been a member of the French Society of Surgery for more than 40 years, of the International Society of Surgery and of the Catalan Society of Surgery. Additionally, he has also written multiple national and international publications in the field.
- Director of the General Surgery Department at Sagrat Cor University Hospital (the department performs 3,505 surgeries per year)
- Coordinator of the Metabolic Surgery and Morbid Obesity Unit, Sagrat Cor University Hospital (the unit performs 336 bariatric surgeries per year).
- Founder of the Institute of General and Digestive Surgery Dr. Foncillas
- Graduated from the Faculty of Medicine of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (Vall d’Hebron Teaching Unit), 1972-78
- Resident doctor in Urology at University Clinic of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Navarra (1979-82)
- Approved, in the first call, the medical part of the exam convened by the "Educational commission for foreign medical graduates" (ECFMG) of the United States of America (1982).
- Reading and exposition of the undergraduate thesis "Endoscopic treatment of superficial bladder neoplasms", directed by Dr. J.Mª. Berián, Director of the Urology Department of the University Clinic of Navarra. Obtained the qualification of excellent / cum laude (1983)
- Founding member, Spanish Society of Obesity Surgery (SECO)
- Founding member, Spanish Society of Laparoscopic Surgery
- Member of the French Society of Surgery for more than 40 years
- Member of the International Society of Surgery
- Member of the Catalan Society of Surgery
- Dr. Foncillas has delivered conferences, communications and posters at multiple congresses held by different medical societies such as SECLA, SOCMIC, SEDO, SEPAR, ESICM, SEEDO
- Training in France, Germany, and Switzerland
- Accreditation in Digestive Surgery by the Beaujon Hospital in Paris (1983-1984)