Dr. Carmen Ayuso García
Dr. Carmen Ayuso García
Since 1979, Dr. Ayuso has actively participated in the diffusion of progress in the field of genetics and genomics and their bioethical implications by participating in over 450 prestigious national and international presentations, round tables and conferences.
She has chaired and led Organising Committees of over 50 national and international seminars and courses, including the 8 editions of the International Conference on Translational Research and Personalised Medicine.
- December 2009 - present: Scientific Director at the Institute of Health Research at Jiménez Díaz Foundation (IIS-FJD).
- October 2009 - present: Professor at the University of Health Sciences. Accredited by the National Agency of Quality Evaluation and Accreditation (ANECA).
- April 2008 - present: Co-Director of the ‘Genomics Medicine’ FJD-UAM Sponsored Chair.
- October 2004 - present: Deputy Director of Research at the Jiménez Díaz Foundation (FJD).
- December 2009 - present: Head of Genetics, Jiménez Díaz Foundation (FJD).
- Dec. 1994 - 2009: Associate Head of Genetics, Jiménez Díaz Foundation (FJD).
- 1984-1994: Specialist in Genetics, Jiménez Díaz Foundation (FJD).
- 1981-1984: Fellowship in Genetics, Jiménez Díaz Foundation (FJD).
- 1978-1981: Resident Medical Intern in Genetics, Jiménez Díaz Foundation (FJD).
- Permanent Member of the Spanish Association of Human Genetics (AEGH) (since 1980).
- Permanent Member of the Spanish Association of Prenatal Diagnosis (AEDP) (since 1988).
- Member of the European Society of Human Genetics (ESHG) (no. 544) (since 1990).
- Member of the International Neurofibromatosis Association (since 1991).
- Member of the Ibero-American Society of Human Genetics of North America (since 1994).
- Member of the French-language Genetics Advisory Society (Club de Conseil Génétique de Langue Francaise) (since 1996).
- Member of the European Association for Vision and Eye Research (EVER) (since 1998).
- Member of the International Society for Genetic Eye Diseases and Retinoblastoma (ISGEDR) (since 1999).
Senior Positions in Scientific Associations:
- Secretary of the Spanish Association for the Study of Human Genetics (1983-1987).
- Regional Coordinator of the Spanish Association of Prenatal Diagnosis (AEDP) (1991-1996).
- Spanish Coordinator of the European Community for Concerted Action: "Prevention of Blindness: Molecular Research and Medical care in Retinitis Pigmentosa". (1990-1999).
- Spanish European Molecular Genetics Quality Network (EMQN) partner, representing the Spanish Association of Human Genetics (July 2008-present).
Member of Scientific and Technical Committees, including:
- Member of the Spanish Bioethics Committee (21st December 2007 - October 2012).
- Member of the Assisted Human Reproduction Commission (2012 - May 2013).
- Coordinator of the Health Research Fund (FIS) Human Resources Programme at Carlos III Health Institute (ISCIII) (April 2012-present).
- Assistant Coordinator for Medicine at the National Agency for Assessment and Forecasting (ANEP) (1st May 2006-2011).
- 2002-2006 Principal Investigator: Institute of Research on Rare Genetic Diseases, (INERGEN) Network of Centres.
- Principal Investigator and member of the Scientific Committee and Permanent Commission of the Governing Council of the Rare Diseases Networking Biomedical Research Centre (CIBER-ER) at Carlos III Health Institute (ISCIII) since 2006.
- Deputy Director of Research at the Jiménez Díaz Foundation since October 2004.
- Member of the Organising Committee of 41 national and international conferences and over 40 scientific courses and congresses.
- Director of 19 doctoral theses and various end-of-degree projects.
- Publications in over 50 books.
- 447 papers presented to congresses and conferences between 1979 and 2013. Topics: Genetic Pathology and Prenatal Diagnosis, Cytogenetics, Molecular Diagnosis, Bioethics, and Scientific Policy.
- Over 410 publications in scientific journals, with an accumulative impact factor above 1322.
- 387 papers presented to congresses and round tables between 1980 and 2013. Topics: Genetic Pathology and Prenatal Diagnosis, Cytogenetics, Molecular Diagnosis, Bioethics, and Scientific Policy.
- Reviewer of over 20 national and international scientific journals: Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science (IOVS), Molecular Vision, European Journal of Human Genetics, Clinical Genetics, Journal of Medical Genetics, Archives of the Spanish Society of Ophthalmology (Archivos Españoles de Oftalmología), Clinical Medicine (Medicina Clínica), Journal of Ophthalmology, Journal of Pharmacogenetics, Human Mutation, Molecular Vision, PLOS One, Orphanet, Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental, Annals of Paediatrics (Anales de Pediatría), The Pharmacogenomics Journal, Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, etc.
- Honorary Professor at the Department of Paediatrics, Autonomous University of Madrid.
- Honorary Professor at the Department of Pathological Anatomy, Autonomous University of Madrid (1990 to 1992 courses).
- Honorary Professor at the Department of Gynaecology, Autonomous University of Madrid (2002 to 2007 courses).
- Associate Clinical and Teaching Professor, Vice-Rector of Health Sciences, Department of Paediatrics, Autonomous University of Madrid. (2002 to 2008 courses).
Research programmes assessor:
- General Management of Scientific and Technical Research (since 2002).
- Health Research Fund (since 2001).
- Wellcome Trust (since May 2006).
- Assessment of Biomedical and Health Sciences Research and for Project Excellence in the Autonomous Community of Andalusia (since 2008).
- Galician Research, Development and Technological Innovation Plan (INCITE) (since 2009).
- Emerging Groups in Valencian Healthcare Centres projects (since 2009).
- MIUR Research Projects (Ministry of Education, University and Research) of the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (since 2013).